October 20, 2012

A Lovely Vintage Find

I very briefly blogged about this once, but as it has to be one of my favourite vintage finds I decided it deserved more space. As soon as I saw this lovely green porcelain plate, I knew it was something special. When I turned it over and saw the Thomas "Sevres" Bavaria mark, I didn't really know what that meant, but it sounded good. A lot of research later, I put it up on Etsy, still not knowing as much as I would like.

Reduced Rare Vintage Edwardian Thomas Sevres Dessert Plate

Here's what I do know: the hallmark on the back combined with the style mean that the plate was made in Germany in the early 1900s-1910s. I have looked everywhere and have not found another with the same pattern or even anything like it. Tone-on-tone colouring seems to have been unusual for a Thomas Bavaria plate--most, for instance, have one colour for the background, a different one for the flowers, another for leaves, another for some other ornamentation, etc. What makes this plate special is that it is painted entirely in shades of green.

It really is so pretty I do not like to part with it, but rare fragile things and babies do not seem to be a good combination! Also, I need the money ;) So, here it is...feel free to buy it! haha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments civil and free of profanity. If you know my daughter's name, please do not post it here. Just refer to her as The Precious. Thank you!