October 7, 2012

Nerdy Quote of the Week

“Reading, after a certain age, diverts the mind too much from its creative pursuits. Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.”
― Albert Einstein


Ouch...this one hurts! I do know what he means though. How often I have had an idea for a story I wanted to write, but put it off for later because that would mean work (turning to a book to read instead) and found later that I no longer remember what my story was going to be about! I personally take the view that reading is only a bad thing if you do not take the time to think about what you read, analyze it, and make up your own mind. It is also bad if all you do is read, to the point that your house falls into ruins and you starve to death. Okay, so that is a bit extreme.

Do you agree with Einstein--that there is a danger to reading too much?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments civil and free of profanity. If you know my daughter's name, please do not post it here. Just refer to her as The Precious. Thank you!