August 10, 2012

Amusing a Baby During a Monsoon

Well, it's not really a monsoon, just a nice rainy Florida summer. It seems like a monsoon because the rain has been going on for quite a while now. The weather is driving a lot of people crazy but I love it. I love hearing the rain falling on our tin roof, the "rain frogs" croaking, and the sounds of cars splashing through puddles. The only bad thing is that it means I can't take The Precious outside much. So we've been playing inside and I've tried to come up with new things for us to do so she doesn't get too bored.

First I tried cutting paperdolls, because that is something I loved as a kid and still enjoy now. She loves watching my shiny big scissors as they carefully navigate the lines I see in my head until a string of ballerinas or little girls or angels or whatever appears. Then she enjoys sitting down and tearing them up. It keeps us both happy for a while.


Another thing we have enjoyed is the "cave" I have made for her by draping a blanket over my fabric cutting table. She can crawl underneath and hide behind the blanket and peek out at the world, and she giggles a lot when I crawl in after her.

I need to come up with something new because the rain keeps coming. I think today I will try hooking up my keyboard and playing music for her so she can dance.

Any suggestions for indoor activities for a one-year-old?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments civil and free of profanity. If you know my daughter's name, please do not post it here. Just refer to her as The Precious. Thank you!