December 3, 2018

My First Custom Barbie Part One

I have always wanted to redo a Barbie doll so that she would be exactly what I wanted, but was too afraid. The truth was, I didn't have a clue where to even start. All I could figure was that acrylic paint was probably involved, but that was about it. So when I discovered the amazing Youtube videos of doll makeovers by Dollightful and AkameruKawaii, I was entranced. It looked so tricky and yet so doable at the same time. When I found some Monster High dolls that, to me, needed a little work (their wasp waists needed fixing for a start!) I decided to give it a go. So I saved up my money for a long time and eventually invested in the tools of the trade. See Dollightful's video for the list!

I was so psyched, but when I looked at the dolls again doubt and even panic set in. What if I screwed up? I decided that for my first custom I would not work with Monster High cat-girl dolls. I would go to the thrift shop and get a plain vanilla, bleached blonde, dime-a-dozen Barbie doll to start my customizing experiments on. Fortunately the first thrift shop I went into had the perfect candidate. This Barbie had SEEN THINGS.



Her legs were permanently bent to one side. One leg had a red stain. The other had grey paint on the back. Her face paint was garish. Her hair was of very low quality and to top it off, there was something *gulp* STICKY in it! UGH! Nobody was going to want this Barbie. Nobody! So I didn't feel guilty making her Test Subject #1. I mean, in the state she was in, I could only make her better. And she had only cost 25 cents!

Following Dollightful's very helpful video Your First Custom I prepped my doll as follows.

First I gave her a bath in hot water with some Dawn dish detergent. I washed her hair over and over and over even though it was coming off. I just couldn't abide the thought of what that sticky stuff might be! Then I scrubbed her with baking soda and water made into a paste, and the grey paint came off. Unfortunately the red stain is indelible, but at least she was finally good and clean. I let her dry and then chickened out for several days.


Finally I got up the nerve to cut her hair. I have never cut a doll's hair in my life, not even as a little girl, so this was a little traumatizing and liberating at the same time. I whacked every bit off, as close to her head as possible. To me, she already looked better. It was as if she had taken a load off!




Next I got out the acetone (100%) and some Q-tips and removed her face paint. What a satisfying experience that was! Until I realized that the acetone was melting her back, that is. Maybe next time I shouldn't use 100% acetone after all? Trying to get the nooks and crannies of her lips clean was a major pain.

Then it was on to the head-boiling stage. I boiled water on the stove and shoved her head right in, guesstimating as to how long to keep it there. I used tweezers to gently remove her head (boy have Barbie neck plugs changed! It used to just be a bead and now it's this great big spiked thing!). I learned this technique from this video right here. It worked really well so I highly recommend removing Barbie heads this way.

With Barbie's head detached I could remove her stubble. Using a pair of (jewelry) needlenose pliers that I shoved inside her head gently, I closed the pliers on bits of hair and glue and pulled them back out through her neck. It took a lot longer than I expected (now I know why they always do a time lapse on Youtube videos) and it really made my hand hurt, but Barbie sure looked a lot better at the end! Popping her head back on was super easy.





So now she's all ready to be sprayed with Mr. Super Clear a couple of times and then I'll be able to start the face. The problem is that I can't decide exactly what I want her face to look like. As I'm planning to make her into a gothic lolita warrior (I found this huge bag of toy weapons at the thrift shop too for only fifty cents!), I know I want her to have long lavender pigtails and a darker purple dress. But I can't decide if I should go with an anime face or a more realistic face. Any suggestions?

Part 2 coming as soon as the weather cooperates for the MSC and as soon as I can make my mind up about the face!

Edit: Sorry this has taken so long. Not long after this my mother had a stroke and I had to drive long distances a lot and take care of her until she died. Since then I've not felt like doing much of anything. I really do want to finish this project though. Maybe it part 2 will be soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments civil and free of profanity. If you know my daughter's name, please do not post it here. Just refer to her as The Precious. Thank you!