November 26, 2019

My Plans for My Custom Barbie: Holo the Wise Wolf!

I had not long completed the first steps of customizing a Barbie doll, namely removing everything but the basic blank body, when my mother had a stroke. She eventually, painfully died next to me. I'm just now starting to come alive again. Which means that I haven't done anything else and the poor doll is bald and faceless!

But I have figured out what I want to do with her. I think her face shape makes her perfect to become one of my favourite anime characters, Holo the Wise Wolf from the anime Spice & Wolf (if you haven't seen it, you must!). The anime has a lot of significance for me as it is the first one I saw that I could really get into, one that I watched as I cared for my baby girl, and one that my husband has enjoyed watching with me. We found that we could kind of identify with the main characters and their romance. I am so looking forward to my little girl being old enough to watch it too!



Holo is such a fun character. She is a goddess who can transform into a gigantic wolf, but walks around in a mostly human form, hiding her ears and tail. She may seem like a spoiled princess, but she's tough and clever, and of course, wise. She does not always choose to wear clothes but of course I will be dressing my doll, probably in the peasant outfit seen here. I also want to make her hooded cloak.





I want to make her ears and tail from ApoxySculpt. I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to drill a hole for her tail or wrap wire around her waist. I will also need to make or buy some tiny apples because Holo is an apple addict. It would be so cute to have a bag of them at her feet and one in her hand with a bite missing!




I had originally planned on yarn weft hair, but that was before I decided to make the doll into Holo. Now I'm leaning towards rooted hair, but that might not work because I've already put the head back on the body.
Any ideas or suggestions?

Even with the simpler anime eyes I'm still really nervous about the face! I should probably practice on paper before trying the real thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments civil and free of profanity. If you know my daughter's name, please do not post it here. Just refer to her as The Precious. Thank you!