November 26, 2019

I Stopped Using Instagram. Here's Why I'm Starting Again

As I said in my last post, a lot happened to me in less than a year. During the time that I was caring for my mother due to her stroke, I decided to stop using Instagram. "What was the point?" I thought. "No one sees my posts. No one cares what I do. This is a total vanity project," I decided. So I removed Instagram from my phone (and freed up some space).

Today I happened to go to Instagram as part of an online giveaway. Idly scrolling through my old account, I was very surprised. A lot of the posts were rubbish, the way I remembered, but there were actually good ones too. I was visibly reminded that I actually have made cool stuff that turned out well. In the funk I've been in, it really came as a mild shock. But a good one. Those photos prove I have accomplished things even if I have little memory of them (taking Klonopin for 12 years will really take a toll on your memory and your ability to remember). In fact, things I had forgotten slowly became memories, albeit vague ones, when I looked at the pictures I had taken of them.

So, I am starting up Instagram again. Every time I do something I am proud of, I will be posting a photo. That way I won't have to dig through a million family photos in order to be reminded of my little victories. My memory will get a little help; more importantly I will be able to tell the darkness that it is a liar. It doesn't matter whether anyone in the world notices because I will notice.

I will not stay in this dark pit. I'm all out of bootstraps to pull myself up with but I've read about a spider's thread that descended into hell. I'm grabbing it with all of my strength. And if Instagram helps, I'll use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments civil and free of profanity. If you know my daughter's name, please do not post it here. Just refer to her as The Precious. Thank you!